Saturday, February 11, 2006

Random Thoughts 2

Olympics Opening Ceremony: Woo pyrotechnics! Those Italians really love the fire don't they? And I think the bit with the Ferrari doing donuts was Italy's answer to Atlanta's silver trucks. Only more expensive, so less white trashy. And the American pop music during the parade of nations kind of took a bit of the majesty out of the ceremony. It's hard to take anything seriously when YMCA is playing. But I loved it when Bob Costas said that it would make his night to hear "Betty Davis Eyes" and Brian Willaims responded, completely deadpan, "Donna Summer would do it for me." I have no idea if that was a joke or not, and that's why it was so funny. Yoko was kind of a WTF moment too, and I wasn't impressed with Peter Gabriel. Oh, and the women who brought out the Olympic Flag? Let's see. We got a Noble Peace Prize winner, and acclaimed author, a couple of Olympic medalists, an activist against violence against women, oh yeah, and these two actresses. OK Olympic committee. I was upset that Tomba wasn't the one to light the flame, only because I predicted that he would be. I don't like being wrong. The actual lighting of the flame was pretty spectacular though. Again with the lots of fire. I guess it was to go with their passion theme. And going out on Luciano Pavoratti singing "Nessun Dorma" is always a good idea.

Veronica Mars (cont.): I feel like such an idiot. I found out yesterday why Hannah's dad looked so familiar. He's the plastic surgeon who claimed he made the anonymous call from the bridge. I'm starting to think Logan's intentions towards Hannah aren't entirely honorable. Well, not that I ever though Logan would do anything honorable, but you get what I mean. Also, since I didn't mention it Wednesday night, Mack and Beaver are the cutest couple ever. Love them. And I love what they did to Dick. I've only ever been a shipper of two TV couples before (Buffy&Angel and Sidney&Vaughn), but I totally am going to ship Mack and Beaver. I may even have to start calling him Cassady.

Smallville: Well, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a disappointment. It could have been so much better. I would have been much happier if it was an actual Chloe-centric episode, but she was possessed by Gretchen for most of it. And I hated that they retconned Chloe's history with regard to her mother yet again. Chloe's mom left when Chloe was 5, not 12. But Allison Mack was great as usual, so it was at least nice to get to see her play her range a bit. How hard is it for these writers to look this stuff up? I loved the Chloe and Clark scenes. It was so nice to see Clark actually caring about Chloe and not being a whiny little bitch. At the end, he actually went to her to talk about HER for a change. And I liked the fact that it seemed like he remembered what happened to Lex and wasn't going to let it happen to Chloe. He was concerned for her, but he also had faith in her. It doesn't make sense to me that Lana and Lois were like "Oh yeah, she's gone nuts" since they have all been possessed. Being possessed or otherwise mind whammied should always be their first reaction. Always. To every slight change in behavior. It happens that often.

OK, and let's just take a minute to discuss the new depths of Lana hatred that this episode. Not only did she manage to make Chloe's problems all about her and Clark's relationship, which is to be expected since she's still Lana and everything is always about her, but she went to Lex to get Chloe committed to Belle Reve. Where the hell does she get off? Lex barely even knows Chloe. Hate her. And don't even get me started on Lex. I don't care how much money and power he has, he would need Chloe's father to agree to it. Where was Gabe anyway. Did he finally get a job, but it's on the Alaskan pipeline? WTF? And about that barn scene? Lana, You. Broke. Up. With. Clark. Why won't they just let it die? Liked the fact that Clark just seemed totally uninterested in her bullshit. It could have been bad acting on Welling's part, but he's been doing so well lately that I actually think Clark didn't care. YAY!

And Lois *sigh* With her cousin in so much trouble, this could have been a real chance to give the character some depth. She's only in just over half the episodes. They shouldn't waste those appearances. But as much as Erica Durance impressed me with her acting in the basement scene, Lois was as stupid as ever. For starters, does she actually think Chloe would become suicidal because she's taking a full course load and working a part time job? Of course a muffin peddler would think that. Only a crazy person would actually want to DO something with her life. And why is it that when she suspects the psycho orderly, she calls the sheriff, but she doesn't think to lock the door behind her? Does she like getting kidnapped? The powers that be seriously are not doing anything to dissuade me from the Chlois theory. Oh, and Lionel, Jonathan's body isn't even cold yet. He really is the Magnificent Bastard. Overall, the A plot did nothing for me. It was meaningless. I liked the end scene. I thought it was pretty touching to see Chloe face her fears like that, but I wish the episode had put the possibility of Chloe going insane to rest.

Spike: Old Wounds: Oh god was it bad. The characterizations were way off. Do they honestly expect me to believe that Angel and Company would really give that much thought to a murder Spike may or may not have committed in 1947? He committed a ton of murders in 1947. They know this. They also know he has a soul now. Angel is a lot of things, but he was never that big a hypocrite. The art is really creepy too. It looks like that movie Waking Life. And Angel: Old Friends isn't much better. The point of the Angel finale was that you have to keep fighting even though it's hopeless. So how does that mini series open? With Angel in seclusion. Did the writers they have working on the Angel and Spike comic books at IDW actually watch the show? Grrr.
Eddie Izzard on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson: I love him. That is all.
Supernatural: Apparently they are not re-airing the episodes on Sunday anymore, so I completely missed this week's episode. Grrr. And apparently they pretended to be priests. Why do I think that was all Dean's idea? And why do I think he was totally unable to pull it off? I guess I'm going to have to give up either Scrubs or House so I can watch this show now. That sucks. I really like both those shows. But I think I'm going to drop House. FOX is more likely to show that over the summer than NBC is to show Scrubs.
I haven't watched the Arrested Development finale yet. I'm gonna do that tomorrow. It's going to be so hard to say good bye to that show. It's the funniest thing on TV.

No comments: