Tuesday, February 07, 2006

And I Didn't Even Have To Start A Campaign

Today, while at work, I was checking up on all things Whedonverse (at Whedonesque) when I had to suppress a rather loud "squee!" Soon Alexis Denisof will be on my television set once again.
As I'm sure you have noticed, Buffyverse alumni have been all over your television this season. Alyson Hannigan (aka Willow Rosenberg) and Nicholas Brendon (aka Xander Harris) duked it out Monday nights at 8:30 until the latter's show was criminally cancelled. (I have major problems saying goodbye to a show that featured former cast members of Alias, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Freaks and Geeks. Good thing How I Met Your Mother features a Freaks and Geeks alum too.) Amy Acker (aka Winifred "Fred" Burckel) is kicking ass as a baddie on Alias. David Boreanaz (aka Angel) is finally able to quit the brooding and make use of his oh so charming smile on Bones. Christian Kane (aka Lindsey McDonald) is some chick's husband on Close to Home. (I've never seen that show, no idea what he actually does on it.) Seth Green (aka Oz) is apparently the only good thing about Four Kings (and Robotic Chicken is hilarious). James Marsters has a recurring role on Smallville as Professor Fine/Brainiac (hopefully to return soon). Charisma Carpenter is a sluttier, sleazier, meaner Cordelia as Kendall Casablancas (best character name ever) on Veronica Mars. And there may be more that I am forgetting. But there is one actor that I have sorely missed in all this upswing in employment for former Buffyverse actors: Alexis Denisof.
Not everyone liked Wesley Wyndham Price, though I adored him, but you cannot deny that the actor who played him was quite possibly the most talented guy on any Whedonverse show. And given those casts, that is saying a lot. Simply put, Alexis Denisof could do it all, and, between his time on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, he did. So why didn't he have a job? I have no idea. These shows just didn't know what they were missing. And I was reduced to getting excited the camera panning to him for a reaction shot at the Emmy's. (They did it a few times, which surprised me since he's not famous. Maybe the director was a fan.) But now I have something a little more substantial to get excited over. In an article over at Zap2It.com, Alyson Hannigan said that Alexis, her real life hubby would be on two episodes of How I Met Your Mother. It doesn't say when it will air, but I can't wait. I know two episodes on a sitcom isn't much, but it's something. And I hope that it will lead to bigger things next season. He deserves it. And if he doesn't end up with a better gig next season, I will start the Get Alexis Denisof Back on TV Campaign that I have been threatening friends and family with since October.
And to hold us over until his episodes of How I Met Your Mother air, Alexis Denisof will be providing the voice of Mirror Master on this Saturday's episode of Justice League Unlimited. If you've never seen JLU, which is finally returning to complete what is probably its final season after a far too long hiatus, you must check it out. It's an amazing show. I regret that I was such a latecomer to it, and pray that they don't wait too long to release the DVDs. Also, it's voice talent reads like a who's who of Whedonverse actors. (Here's a list of who will be doing voices in upcoming episodes, courtesy of Whedonesque.com.) And if that's not enough to get you to watch (though if Alexis Denisof isn't enough, Adam Baldwin and an appearance, albeit small, from The Question should do it), Michael Rosenbaum (aka Smallville's Lex Luthor) will be voicing The Flash (one of my fav JLU characters) in a couple of episodes, including one where The Flash and Lex Luthor pull a body swap. Oh the meta referencing! How can you not love that?
OK, I'm going to let it out now. SQUEEEEE! Alexis Denisof is going to be on my television again! :)

No comments: