Thursday, September 20, 2007

Spidey Cartoon!


Blog@Newsarama has some stuff on the upcoming Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, like Sean Galloway's character designs from his blog (above). (There's a link to an interview with director Victor Cook.) Pretty cool looking, right? I'm super excited about this cartoon. Yay! for new Spidey cartoon. Okay, I'm calming down.

Anyway, I think they all look really cute. Peter's possibly too cute, but it's so hard to make guys look geeky anymore. If they put him in a sweater vest, like Ditko did, he'd look like a hipster. I'm guessing his geekiness will come across more in how the character is written. Harry's got Osborn hair. I'm very happy about that. Osborn hair makes the character. I would believe anyone who had that hair would go insane. His pant legs are too baggy at the bottom though.

It looks like, in the latest attempt to reinvent Gwen Stacy so that she doesn't completely suck, they've turned her into a geek-girl. I guess that works. Actually, since I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Mary Jane is going to be the primary love interest as that's just what people are more familiar with, I wonder if they aren't going to go with characterizations similar to those in Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane for Gwen and MJ. That would work, I think. I hope we won't get a movie-MJ characterization. That MJ sucks. Also, I hope Liz Allen, Flash Thompson, and Betty Brant are going to be in the cartoon. I want to see as much of the supporting cast as possible.

I cannot wait for this cartoon, and it's gotten picked up for 26 episodes already. Saturday morning is going to be so awesome, with Legion of Superheroes, The Batman, and Spectacular Spider-Man. It'll be like the '90s when FOX had Spider-Man, X-Men, and The Tick, except, I actually think Spectacular Spider-Man is going to be better than the '90s cartoon. I've read a bunch of interviews and stuff and the creators say all the right things and really seem to get it. I hope I'm not disappointed. I can't take any more Spidey related disappointment.

No comments: