Thursday, August 09, 2007

Scout Attacks! Random Comments About Various Comics

So I lied. I am going to do little reviews. Well, not really. These are just things that occurred to me while reading. I would hardly call them reviews.

The Amazing Spider-Man #542: Well, that was ridiculously out of character, and there's still another issue left in this arc. I am so bored. More and more I am getting the idea that Spider-Man has been intentionally written into the ground since issue #500 (that hand in the newly released cover is so Future Spidey) in order to justify whatever stunt they are going to pull at the end of "One More Day."

Batman #666: I actually really liked this issue. It raised a lot of questions that I think are going to be important for the rest of Morrison's run. I've been loving this evil Batman storyline though, even though I don't understand it. It's just a shame Barbara will have such an unfortunate haircut in the future.

Batman #667: And Then There Were None recast with The International Club of Heroes. I've always though that Agatha Christie needed more people in silly costumes. Extra points for the abundance of ethnic stereotypes.

Black Canary #3: This story still might not actually be about Black Canary, but damn if no one kicks more ass than her. That was some hurt she put on Ollie.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5 "The Chain": Wow. Just wow. This might have been the strongest issue yet.

The New Avengers Illuminati #4: I love Namor. Has he always been this cool? Also, Tony Stark is totally a Skrull. Either that or he is now so arrogant that he doesn't even consider himself a member of the human race anymore. Wait. That's actually believable too.

The New Avengers #33: I'd just like to point out that Madame Mask is on the cover of two New Avengers covers (this and Illuminati) in a single month. I think that's funny. Also, Spidey shouldn't be on this team anymore, and Hawkeye appears not to be a Skrull. My threat to personally storm Marvel offices and beat the crap out of anyone there if Luke Cage of Jessica Jones is a Skrull still stands.

Sensational Spider-Man #39: Woah! It's Anna Watson. Man, did she pick a bad time to visit from Florida. Also, Peter, Aunt May is older than Yoda. If she wants to go, just let her go.

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #4: I love you Jeff Parker. I love that Spidey gets a monument erected in his honor, even if he doesn't know about it. and how perfect is it that the book ends on Peter telling a bad joke and the Impossible Man being coughed up by a cat, like a hairball.

Wonder Woman #11: So they bring in Jodi Piccoult, publicize the hell out of her run, then stick her with a stupid crossover which was obviously at odds with the direction she wanted to take the character in and she doesn't even finish the story arc? That makes no sense. Worse than that, the start of this issue reads like the new writer just randomly decided to do a complete 180 on the events of the last issue. DC has so fucked this title up. But hey, at least we get some nostalgia by having Diana straddle a big rocket. That's something, I guess. It would be nice to see Wonder Woman actually win at something though, just for a change.

No comments: