Thursday, August 23, 2007

In Praise of Red Sonja's Belly

There was a comment to on my Spider-Man/Red Sonja #1 review asking who the artist was, and I thought I should just do a quick post on it, because I really should have mentioned it in the first place. Pencils were done by Mel Rubi, with color by Brian Buccellato. It was written by Michael Avon Oeming.

This was a big oversight on my part because 1)it's always important to give credit to the creative team, and 2) the art is very good. If I am going to take the time to call out Michael Turner on his general Michael Turner-ness, I should take the time to mention that Rubi did a great job on the interior art. My only defence is that I was distracted by all the awesome.
As my anonymous commenter pointed out, and I quote, "MJ's got belly! She's not stick-thin or inhumanly tuned, she's actually curvy and fleshy and realistic!" I believe that Rubi is the regular artist on Red Sonja, so I would assume that he always makes Red Sonja look like this. It's good to know that she's being drawn to like like someone who could, conceivably, carry a sword.

Anyway, Spider-Man/Red Sonja is not a book you should judge by it's cover. Rubi draws a pretty cool looking Spider-Man too.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Issue #2 isn't coming out until September 19th, and I'm already impatient for it.

And to anyone who came over here from When Fangirls Attack, thanks for reading. It's made me all self conscious though. I am suitably embarrassed of all my typos. Not embarrassed enough to go back and fix them, but embarrassed all the same.

No comments: