Thursday, August 02, 2007

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

From Newsarama's interview with new Amazing Spider-Man writer Zeb Wells:

What I’m most excited about is bringing back the feeling that Spider-Man (and Peter Parker) can make mistakes. When a hero’s been around as long as Spidey there’s a tendency to make him too perfect, too confident. Our Spidey often makes the wrong decision in trying to do the right thing. I think the classic Spidey stories always revolve around these situations, and it’s an important facet to bring back. Oh, yeah... and web shooters!
OK, first of all, Spidey doesn't make mistakes anymore? Uh...I think he's made some pretty friggin' huge mistakes lately. Kingpin didn't call him a chump for nothing. Mostly though, there will be web shooters.

Don't get me wrong, I think organic web shooters make sense. I got over my fannish objections to their inclusion in the movie a long time ago, probably before the first movie even came out, but giving Spider-Man organic web shooters in the comics after so long did not make sense. I mean, using magic to fundamentally change a character - how dumb is that?

I'll give Marvel credit for one thing though. A while back, Quesada and Breveroot made a comment at a con that the Spider-marriage was an example of the carriage pulling the horse. It wasn't done for story related reasons. It was done so that all versions of Spider-Man would be the same. I thought this was pretty hypocritical coming from the guys who oversaw the web shooter change, so going back to mechanical web shooters means they aren't total fucking hypocrites. Well, I guess they sorta still are since Quesada has been bitching about Mary Jane forever. However, they are correcting themselves, so that's got to count for something. Good for you guys!

No comments: