Thursday, July 06, 2006

I Know He's Got a Mutant Healing Factor, But Really Now...

I haven't done any of the updates I planned to do, partially because I am lazy and partially because I have had this killer sinus infection for the past two weeks. There's so much to talk about, like the Spider-Man 3 trailer, Superman Returns (which I haven't seen yet, also partially due to the killer sinus infection), Marvel's Civil War, the last issue of season 1 of Young Avengers, and so much more. I had no idea where to start. It's all very overwhelming, so I decided to start with my personal WTF moment courtesy of Wolverine #43. (Spoilers to follow, so don't read if you don't want to know.)

Let me start off by saying that I think this particular Civil War tie-in storyline is pretty good. It's not great, and I personally find Ramos' art a bit weird looking (especially the hands), but I'm enjoying it. That said, I have a question. How the hell does Wolverine heal himself from getting completely incinerated? I'll admit, my biology knowledge is fuzzy, but if all that's left of him is his skeleton, there's not actually anything left to heal. Don't you need white blood cells to heal? And don't tell me it had something to do with bone marrow, because if you can't cut adamantium, you sure as hell can't heal through it. Anybody got an explanation for how this can work? I'll take anything that's remotely plausible, but right now, I'm not buying it. Also, when Magneto ripped the adamantium from Wolverine's body, didn't it take a while for Wolverine to recover from that? I don't remember that well, but I thought it did. In Wolverine #43, Wolverine is all better and beating up Nitro within a matter of minutes.

There's just getting out of control with Wolverine's healing factor lately. I didn't read Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine, but didn't Wolverine get completely ripped in half? How did that work exactly? Did his two halves get reunited and kind of fuse back together? Did he grow a new lower body? Seriously, I would like to know. Someone please tell me, because it seems to me that we are getting away from healing and venturing into regeneration, which is something mammals cannot do. Regeneration should be a whole separate power, and one that belongs to a lizard or amphibian-like mutant.

I had a similar problem with Wolverine #32. Let's overlook the fact that the issue sucked and focus on the fact that Wolverine repeatedly got shot in the head. I'm not saying this would kill Wolverine, because he would definitely heal from being shot. However, this was during World War II, before he got the adamantium, and I don't think any of those bullets passed through his head. That means that all those bullets were lodged in his brain. How could he heal properly while having to accommodate the presence of all that lead. Shouldn't he be severely brain damaged?
I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but this sort of thing is really starting to bug me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wolverine #43 wasn't the first time he came back from being burnt up. He did it once in the nineties, I think when Mark Texteria (sp?) was drawing the book. I think he also did it in a mini series for some stupid character that was dead or something.

Scout said...

Don't you think it's a bit much? It's like he can't be killed. I think it would be better if there were some limitations. It's like when certain writers (not to mention crazy fanboys) treat Batman like he's some kind of god who can do anything, which always defeats the purpose of the character for me.