Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Awesomest Thing I Saw On TV This Week

Earlier this week, A&E aired a documentary about Superman called Look Up in the Sky. If you did not watch it, it was pretty good. I am looking forward to seeing the extra thrity minutes on the DVD version. However, I think it's a renter, not a buyer.

Anyway, that is not the awesomest thing I saw on TV this week. The awesomest thing I saw on TV this week was probably not even sixty seconds worth of footage contained within the documentary. After George Reeves's death (the anniversary of which is tomorrow) right before they were to begin filming a new season of the Adventures of Superman, the studio decided to try to keep their investment by producing several pilots for replacement series. One was a Superboy series. The other was a little (and I mean that literally) something called Superpup.

Think about that for a second...Superpup. The limited amount footage shown from that pilot is by far the awesomest thing I have seen on TV this week. Hell, it may be the awesomest thing I have ever seen on TV. From the title alone, you can probably already imagine where I am going with this, but honestly, if you did not see it, you could never really grasp just how amazing it was.

Superpup
utilized the same sets as the Adventures of Superman, which I suppose made it cost effective, but that's not what made it awesome. What made it awesome was the fact that all the actors were little people wearing dog heads. Superpup's alter ego was called Bark Kent. I don't know what the doggie Lois Lane was called, but I'm pretty sure she was a poodle. I cannot even begin to describe what Superpup looked like in his costume and flying. Imagine a truly unfortunate mascot. I do not think the doggie version of Lex Luthor was shown, which is a little sad. I woud truly love to know how they would have depicted a bald dog. Would he have been a Mexican Hairless?

Simply put, Superpup was so wrong in its very concept that it crossed the line to utterly brilliant. The entirety of the pilot needs to be made available to the public. Until some genius at whatever studio owns the rights to it realizes this, I recommend that everyone either gets their hands on the Look Up i the Sky DVD or finds out when A&E is re-airing it. I promise you that you will not be sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey scout.

Saw the special and thought it was really informative. Enjoyed the history lesson and that it wasn't just a big ad for the movie.

massena1

BTW, I'm sending you an email, but when I looked up your profile at twop, I saw your blog address so I thought I'd check it out. Nice layaout!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»