Monday, May 15, 2006

A World Without Heroes

Last night was the second part of the two part series finale of Justice League Unlimited. The title of this blog entry is a tribut to that. (Also, I wanted to try and have the title of my blog keep the referencing in line with the references in the episode titles. Points for getting the connection.) I waited until after both parts to post my notes on the episodes, so watch out, this is a long one.

“Alive” began with Lex Luthor once again trying to reunite with Brainiac. “I’m going to be a god again.” Lex Luthor is so badass. How cool was it that he reconfigured Grodd’s cloaking device into a hyper spatial drive? Now the headquarters is as awesome as the Legion of Doom headquarters I grew up with.

Tala – hell hath no fury like a witchy woman scorned for an alien computer. Figures she’d go running back to Grodd, but did anybody think Grodd was actually a match for Luthor? No way.

I loved seeing all the Society members duke it out. That was one of the best battles I have ever scene on this show. Toyman totally creeps me out, and I think Killer Frost is freaking cool (no pun intended). But the showdown between Luthor and Grodd was the best, with Lex showing that he is always 10 steps ahead. After Lex gets the upper hand, somehow counteracting Grodd’s mind control powers and using them against him, Lex traps him in an airlock, where they share this exchange:

“Goodbye Grodd. It could’ve gone the other way.”
“It really could have, couldn’t it?”
“No, but why speak ill of the dead?”

And then Lex has Grodd sucked out into space. Too cool. After that, he finally finds a good use for Tala. “I’m a sick person too.” Yeah he is.

Gayest line of the night: “Brainiac, I’m coming!” The look on his face is so euphoric too. The writers? They are totally going there intentionally.

Sadly, Lex did not get to reunite with Brainiac. Instead, when the reconstitution was said and done , there stood…Darkseid. Hells yeah.

Finally, I think it’s safe to say that “We have a little problem,” is the most intriguing line ever uttered on this show. The League and the Society team up. Superman and Lex Luthor fighting side by side. The week of waiting was agony. So was the wait worth it?

You betcha. “Destroyer” managed to out do “Alive” on every level, which had to be a tough thing to accomplish.

Lex Luthor: “Darkseid took Brainiac away from me. I can’t hear his voice in my head anymore.”
Superman: “Oh come on. It’s Lex flippin’ Luthor! Why should we trust him?”
Lex Luthor: “Let’s be clear about this. We’re not here to help you save the world. You’re here to help me get revenge on Darkseid. When this is over, it’s back to business as usual.”
Superman: “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

OK, so we didn’t get Lex Luthor and Superman fighting side by side. We got Lex Luthor and Batman fighting side by side, which is nearly as good. And since Superman was pretty tied up in the awesome fight against Darkseid, I’m more than happy for how it worked out.

A great rescue is always exciting, but somehow, superheroes always seem to come off as even more superhero-y when they are saving the bad guys. Not just anyone would jump off a building to save a guy like Lex Luthor. Batman? He does it without even thinking about it. I love that.

Actually, I loved that even though this was predominantly a Superman and Lex Luthor episode, with a heavy side of Batman, a lot of characters got to show off their stuff in the big battle. Naturally, the original seven all got big moments. I think my favorite had to be the return of Jonn J’Onzz to the fold. His dragon was very cool, and I loved Wonder Woman’s reaction to seeing him again. It was a rare look at the innocence of the character, which we haven’t really seen on Justice League Unlimited. Mostly she’s just an awesome warrior type and leader, which is very cool too.

Also, I know I normally gush about Lex Luthor and The Flash. Superman has never really been my favorite character, but sometimes I just really love him. This monologue that he gave while beating the crap out of Darkseid just really showed why Superman is the best of the best: “Batman won’t quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I’ve got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard. Always taking constant care not to break something…to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control, even for a moment or someone could die. But you can take it. Can’t you big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am.” I can’t even begin to argue why he shouldn’t be the most revered superhero character after that entire scene.

Still, I have to wonder how Metropolis is going to pay for all those repairs. Also, Darkseid still beat him, but he was totally cheating. Fortunately, the Metron had shown up to bring Lex to what they need to defeat Darkseid. I loved Lex’s supreme hubris in this exchange:

Metron: “I have to warn you. Only a twelfth level intellect has the slightest hope of surviving what you are about to experience.”
Lex Luthor: “Then I’m over qualified.”

The anti-life equation – I don’t get it. What happened there? I do appreciate that Lex went to go put on his “power suit” before saving the day though. You want to look good at a time like that. I think it was interesting that Superman’s perspective was that Lex “died” (have to agree with all the other Leaguers, no way Luthor and Darkseid really died) saving the world. Lex had made it clear from the beginning that he was in it because he blamed Darkseid for the loss of Brainiac and wanted revenge. Lex really is that selfish. And yet, I really don’t think Lex would want the world to come to an end. He just had his sites set on bigger things – like everything everywhere – and Darkseid took that away. So for Lex, Darkseid’s crime was bigger than wanting to take over Earth.

The end was great though. What are a bunch of superheroes supposed to do when they are faced with having to deal with a bunch of criminals who just helped them fight off invasion forces from Apokolips? Give them a five minute head start of course. (How cute was it that Giganta ran up to kiss Flash before taking advantage of her head start?) Most fittingly, the last three lines of the episode, and therefore the series, were said by the big three:

Superman: “A head start. You’re getting soft in your old age.”
Batman: “Don’t you have a tall building to go leap?”
Wonder Woman: “And the adventure continues.”

The final shot of Justice League Unlimited is the Leaguers chasing after the Society members, ending with a close up of the Bat symbol on Batman’s chest, which is so perfect since Batman: the Animated Series is where Bruce Timm’s whole universe began. It’s just too bad this is the end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Social media updates and posts are just like your yard BBQ party - be personal, be yourself and be genuine.
Builders can also create personalized toggles SB settings.

For 2.1 & 2.2, you will need iTunes 8 installed.


Also visit my blog post Precautions For Water Damage From Destroying Your Iphone