Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Veronica Mars 2.21

Well, I finally got to see last week's Veronica Mars on Sunday (stupid Nets), and I wanted to comment on it before tonight's season finale. So here goes:

1. I was kind of disappointed that they went to the crazy veteran well with Lucky, but I think it's pretty clear that Lucky's brand of crazy was from something entirely different than war related reasons. I did find his shoot out (well, not really) of the school was pretty scary (sing-songing Gia's name to the Chia Pet jingle is just creepy) and I liked that we got some hero moments from Veronica and Wallace. I even thought it was pretty brave of Jackie to even attempt to call the police. I was surprised that school security guards get to carry guns, with actual bullets instead of those rubber things though. That's pretty good for the security guards -- all the power of being a cop without the pesky training and background checks.

2. I think Jackie is this season's Logan. We started out the season hating her, then we learned more about her and just couldn't help but feel for her. She has a lot of issues, especially of the daddy variety (just like Logan), but she really is a good person. Actually, Jackie never even did anything anywhere near as bad as the stuff Logan did, and often continues to do, so the only thing she really had to overcome was general obnoxiousness. I guess it stands to reason, though that she wouldn't be as bad as Logan since her dad isn't as bad as Aaron Echolls (more on him later). Jackie has also proven herself to have integrity, so I guess she's better than Logan on that front too. Still, I maintain that she is like Logan in that our attitudes have changed toward her. Sure, she hasn't won everyone over, but even Logan has his detractors. Also, I was just as hard on Tessa Harper as everyone else when the season started, but I really do think that she has put in some really top notch performances in the second half f the season.

3. It says a lot about a show that it can make the audience feel heartbroken over a character getting caught for orchestrating another character's death. Poor Weevil. I really think he had the intention of getting his life straightened out, and e was going to start by actually graduating. I have a feeling his situation isn't going to get resolved in the next episode, so I really hope that Veronica finds a way to get him off the hook next season. After all, it was the Fitzpatricks who technically killed Thumper, not Weevil.

4. I am totally back to loving Beaver and Mac together. They must hook up again. I want that relationship to continue for a long time. Now tat Bright and Hannah are broken up on Everwood (sniffle), they are the cutest couple on TV. I'm worried though. The Beaver and Kendall Casablancas Phoenix Trust storyline is still unresolved and I have a horrible feeling something bad will come of it. Now that we know Kendall is a lot more on the ball than she originally seemed, I can't help but wonder if she might not be able to get the upper hand on little Beav. I don't think that would lead to good things for my favorite pair's future.

5. Apparently, the guy standing next to Beaver, when Veronica found him staring at "Amber is a bitch" scratched into is car door, who told Veronica he hadn't said a word to anybody was the kid who caught Lynn Echolls's suicide on film last season. Is this just a really random callback, or will that prove to be significant in tonight's episode? You never know with this show.

6. I was hoping for a bit more Veronica and Logan interaction in this episode. I still don't think Logan's good enough for our Veronica (he still does some pretty reprehensible things, after all) but his drunken "epic love" speech from the previous episode made me into a 'shipper, even if I know that feeling won't last. It's interesting that they have set up two similar romantic situations for Veronica. If you will recall, the fortune Duncan gave to Veronica was revealed to say "True love stories never end." Then you have Logan describing their love as epic. And then there is Veronica's reaction to both. She clearly wanted to believe the fortune, but she was also receptive to Logan's words. Who does she really prefer? I doubt she knows, but I think Logan is going to be around for the long haul and I would be really surprised if Duncan doesn't pop up every once in a while. Then again, if Duncan gave her an STD, that might cut him out of the picture completely. Then again, the fact that Aaron Echolls's attorney knew about Veronica's STD kind of puts that whole thing in question. How did the lawyer fid out about it?

7. The revelation that Woody Goodman is a child molester is a non-shocker, but I still wonder where that is going. Since we found out about it now, I'm certain that he did not cause the bus crash. However, I wonder if he is going to face justice at all. He did take off in this episode and, given the Echolls verdict, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the Michael Jackson to Aaron's O.J. Also, remember when Beaver ad Mac initially broke up? I wondered if there was some deeper reason for him not wanting to have sex with her. Now we have a child molester in the mix and we know that he's been coaching little league for years. I can't help but wonder if Beaver Casablancas is going to play a part in all of that. Also, the email with the recording of the guys talking about what Goodman did to them was not from one of the email aliases on the list that Keith gave Veronica, which makes me wonder where it did come from nd who the third, and unheard, voice was.

8. I was actually shocked by the verdict though. I could not believe Aaron Echolls got acquitted, and yet, of course he got acquitted. What celebrity actually gets convicted of murder? It was absolutely the realistic ending and I should have expected nothing less. Poor Logan. You know Aaron is going to make him pay for this. And I'm sure he's got some payback in store for Veronica as well, but she's able to handle herself much better. She also has Keith. I wonder if Aaron Echolls is going to be sticking around for a while, or if the finale will find him paying a less than legal price for his crimes. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone killed him, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they kept him around to torment Logan and the Marses whenever they got a little too comfy.

There are still so many balls left in the air and only one episode left. How many of the still unresolved plot points will be dealt with and how many will be left open for next season (assuming there will be one)? By this time last season, I knew exactly who killed Lilly Kane. This season, I have no idea what the resolution to the big mystery is. Fortunately, the Nets are off tonight, so I get to watch the finale at the same time as everyone else. I cannot wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»