Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Playing Catch Up

Since I didn't update over the weekend, and then posted on the Oscars last night, today's update is pretty varied. Here goes...
Justice League Unlimited: First things first. I am really pissed with myself because I accidentally erased this one from my DVR when I finished watching it. And I loved The Great Brain Robbery. I had been waiting for this episode for a really long time and it absolutely did not disappoint. Had I not been an idiot, I probably would have already watched it for a third time by now. Sure the set up for the brain swap was really hokey, but the pay off was totally worth it. Clancy Brown did a wonderful job of getting the Flash's tone down perfectly. And kudos to Michael Rosenbaum for not sounding like Smallville's Lex Luthor. I think we learned quite a bit about Flash and Lex in this episode too. Flash, for instance, is way more powerful than we realized. I'm just not sure if we are supposed to think that Lex could tap into all that power because he is so smart and figured out how to do this stuff with his knowledge of science, or if the Flash knows he can do this stuff and just doesn't because it is too dangerous. Too bad the show is getting cancelled and we probably will never get to explore this issue. Also, Lex isn't a very attentive lover. That and he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence as a leader among the rest of the Legion. Polaris especially is keen to take over. (Fun fact: Michael Rosenbaum did double duty in this episode as he voiced Polaris too.) Now that Lex has control of his body again, I have no doubt that he will be able to quell all attempts to usurp him, not to mention get the information he needs to reunite with Brainiac. I'm still pulling for those two crazy kids to get back together. And now for my favorite moments:
When asked if he's going to wash his hands before leaving the bathroom, Flash as Lex responds "No, because I'm evil."
Flash as Lex constantly referring to himself as Lex Luthor.
"Am you Bizarro mommy?"
"Heeey! That's not restful."
Lex as Flash defending himself in the commissary with utensils and then food, speeding off, then coming back for a snack.
Lex as Flash pulling off his mask to reveal Flash's secret identity only to realize "I have no idea who this guy is."
Basically, I love Flash. I love Lex. All the moments were pretty awesome.

American Idol: I didn't really intend to ever post about this, but I had to. Why? MANDISA!!!! She is awesome. Seriously. I love her. I think either Melissa and Kinnik are going home, though my just general dislike for Melissa may be coloring that. I don't know why I don't like her, but I do know that if you are going to perform a Heart song, you better nail it. She just didn't. Also, I really like Kellie, but you should not perform "I'm the Only One" unless you have once had your heart ripped from your chest, had a huge chunk taken out of it, had it put back in your chest and then you decided to go back for more. 'Cause that song requires some actual emotion. There has to be some pain to back it up. Kellie knows nothing of pain, which is what makes her so adorable, but also why she shouldn't be singing that song.

House: Dude! Howard Hesseman was the disease of the week. Remember Head of the Class? I loved that show. And Adam Busch (aka Warren from Buffy the Vampire Slayer aka the asshole who killed Tara and then got all his flesh ripped off his body by evil Willow) is a cow lover, but not. He's really just into his stepmom, ala Bill S. Preston, Esq. Man, the people on this show are freaky. Who would claim to be a cow lover when they weren't? Oh, there's Greg Grunberg too! I love him. I miss Weiss on Alias. He's going to be in a pilot, called Heroes that sounds really good though. Sort of a superhero thing meets Lost. Ooooo, and he not only called House an ass, but he punched him too. I love Dr. House, but sometimes he really deserves that. His performance was very good too.
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man: It was better than the previous 4 issues. Hopefully now that "The Other" is over, Peter David can get into his own thing and tell some interesting stories. I'm just not sure if this is it. But it was better.

Infinite Crisis #5: Since I'm not really a big reader of DC Comics, so I don't understand half of what's going on in this mini series. But I am enjoying it. Frankly, I thought Earth 2 Lois's death was very touching. I think everything that Kal-L has done, misguided and naive as going along with Alexander Luthor's plan to restore Earth 2 might be, made sense when he held her dying body his arms and said "Superman always saves Lois Lane." When you think about it, that is pretty much an absolute truth of his life. So when Alexander Luthor tells him that Lois isn't dying because of old age and that she can be saved, of course this would seem reasonable to him. Then add that to the fact that he has, quite naturally as most people do this of their home, idealized his memory of Earth 2. It's really heartbreaking. Who I can't really understand is Alexander Luthor. I understand that he wants to find the perfect Earth, I just don't really get why. And after the Superman vs. Superman fight, I think Kal-L got some sense knocked into him. Kal-El's line "If your from this Earth it can't be perfect. Because a perfect Earth doesn't need a Superman," hit him really hard. He gets it now. And I think he's going to go kick some gold-clad Luthor butt. I did think that the deux ex machina of Earth 2 Wonder Woman was a bit much. But then there's Superboy Prime. He accidentally knocks off one person's head and suddenly he's a psychotic freak. And it's all because he's a whiny, jealous little bitch. You'd think he was Smallville's Clark. Aren't Superboy fans going to be a bit upset by this? Or are they all to old to care now? On a final note, a flare for garish outfits must be a dominant trait in the Luthor genetic makeup. Alexander Luthor is still sporting his unbelievably awesome gold suit that he has had since Crisis on Infinite Earths. My love for this costume knows no bounds. But in addition to Alex's snazzy duds, Lex Luthor is sporting his Superfriends outfit. It looks good on him. Sadly, Earth 1 Superboy seems to have missed out on the gene. Dude wears jeans. What the hell?

Ultimates 2 #10: Could they actually give us a better issue than 9? Apparently they can. Tony Stark is so cool. I love that he can download the info from Natasha's brain. Paranoid indeed. And he's just so cool about the whole thing. I bet he's going to need a drink though. Then there is Hawkeye. Is what he did with his fingernails even possible? How much force would you need to flick you fingernails with to actually rip them off and send them shooting into someone's neck. Frankly, when I saw that, I thought I was going to throw up. I loved it. I can't wait to see Captain America kick some ass. They've messed with his girlfriend and his country. Things are not going to go well for the bad guys. Finally, I'm guessing that Thor is going to play a big part in the next, or at least the last, issue. Since Loki is behind all this, it's pretty safe to assume that Thor doesn't need that belt to get his power.

Books of Doom: I've been learning so much about super villainy from this series. How could I not? It is about the greatest super villain ever, Dr. Doom. Brubaker really is telling a great story, and this may be the best issue yet. Dr. Doom killed a yeti. That is so cool. He's also completely irrational. In issue #2, Reed Richards was completely inconsequential. Now Reed Richards is the architect of all Doom's failures. His suspicion is completely unfounded and totally born of jealousy. But that's the sort of thing that separates just normally eccentrics from super villains. That, and a utter disgust for humanity. You can't be a good super villain unless you have a real good superiority complex. Also, you totally don't need to get a doctorate. All that education is so unnecessary. You can just intimidate people into calling you doctor, though I suppose it is somehow reassuring to know that Dr. Doom didn't pass his boards or anything. And all this led to the armor. That was a truly awesome moment. My only complaint was that it should have ended with the panel of him lifting his hood and proclaiming himself DOCTOR DOOM. I feel like the rest could have waited.

No comments: