Thursday, March 02, 2006

Creepy, But Not As Creepy As Tom Cruise

First of all, tonight's episode of Smallville was "Splinter," which was a really great one. It had Professor Fine, so that's just a few extra points there. Whatever my problems with this show, I have to be grateful that they put James Marsters back on my television. Unfortunately, no scenes between James Marsters and Michael Rosenbaum in these one. They are so good on screen together. But considering how good both these guys are at making lesser actors look good, it's not surprising that they would bring the best out in eachother. What we do get is Tom Welling acting all crazy and menacing. He is so good at that. And with the spooky vibe of the episode and the Hitchcockian music, I couldn't help but think of Chloe as a classic Hitchcock blonde, especially with those classic looking suits she wears. Anyway, "Splinter" was a good episode and worth a second watching. I guess "Solitude" is next week, which is another good one -- more James Marsters.

Speaking of really good Smallville, if you want to see some, or if you're tired of dangling plot lines from previous seasons, check out The Vengeance Chronicles . They are like the Chloe Chronicles from a few seasons back, but less Chloe and more of that Angel of Vengeance chick. It's good though, with continuity galore. I'm talking the return of Molly Griggs and 33.1, which is the biggest dangling plotline of all time. I really hope these things wind up having an impact on the show, because Lex is behind some serious shit. I don't see how Chloe could not bring Clark in on this. Also, she's going to get one hell of a story out of this. Here's my question though: isn't Lois Lane the one who is supposed to try and bring Lex Luthor down with her journalistic muckraking? Oh wait, Chloe Sullivan is Lois Lane on Smallville. I forgot.

And now on to other stuff...

Lost: Finally we get some relevant flashbacks that actually provide us with new information that ties into the plot. It was a good episode. William Mapother brought back his special brand of creepy (though still not as creepy as his cousin) in a reappearance by the Ethan Rohm character. Man he doped Claire up real good. I couldn't help but wonder how all those sedatives didn't wind up having some negative effect on baby Aaron. Were we supposed to be surprised that Rousseau's baby was a girl? Because I called that last season when we found out her baby was named Alex. Also, Zeke isn't really bearded. I don't know why that is significant, but I am certain that it is. Maybe it has something to do with the Wizard of Oz. A sort of "Don't look behind that curtain" thing. I dunno. I'm grasping at straws. But I know the Wizard of Oz has something to do with something on this show. Henry Gale, the guy they are keeping prisoner in the hatch, is the same name as Dorothy's uncle. And the other week he said that he and his wife were going around the world in a hot air balloon when they crashed on the island. The Wizard crashed in Oz in a hot air balloon. I'm more certain than ever that Henry Gale is an Other, so I really do think that the Wizard of Oz is a clue to what the deal is with them. Maybe Lost is a metaphor for our nation's political and economic situation. I suppose Henry could be trying to pit Locke against Jack in order to create an opening for his escape, but I think that is he was just a guy who crashed on the island and his wife died, he'd be a lot more scared than he is. And there's that smile that he gave Sayid the other week. That just screamed "I am an Other." Speaking of Others, I don't trust Libby. Just don't. No concrete evidence that she is evil as of yet. I am a little confused by Locke getting all pissy about Jack being in charge. Wasn't he the one who told Jack to lead them last season? Next new episode is March 22.

Supernatural: This episode actually had a bunch of touching moments and those shadow demons were pretty scary. When this show is on, it is really on. I just wish Meg was played by a better actress. I think she'd be a really cool adversary for the Winchester boys if I could just stop thinking about how much the actress sucks. And I love, love, love the Winchester boys. All three of them. I just really get that family vibe off of them. It broke my heart a little when Dean said he just wanted the three of them to be together again, and Sam told him that when this was over he had to let him go back to his life. I feel so bad for Dean, because aside from the short period of time before his mother died which he probably can't remember all that well, the years before Sam left to go to school were the happiest times he'd ever known. His father and Sam got to experience a normal life. I can't help but feel that someday he's going to be hunting demons all alone, not knowing what else to do with himself. Sam's reunion with his father was quite good as well. They earned that hug, and it was really nicely played. My heart broke again when Dean realized that their dad had to go off by himself because being around them puts him in too much danger. He came so close to getting what he wants. My latest fear is that, after Papa Winchester made such a big deal about how close he is to killing the thing that killed their mother and Jess, that he is going to die before he is able to share everything with the boys. That will drag things out for longer. On a shallow note, I normally get pretty annoyed when TV shows beat the crap out of their characters and really cut them up good and then the next time you see them they are completely recovered with no bruises or scars or anything, but I don't think I'd mind too much if they did that on Supernatural. I wouldn't want anything to interfere with the pretty. Also, thank god for the return of lascivious Dean. That girl he was supposed to be in love with several weeks back was so not worthy. Can't wait until this show moves to Thursday nights. That's going to be a pretty kick ass night of programming on The WB.

Veronica Mars: I think new episodes return on March 15. YAY! It was such a nasty tease when they promised a new episode and then didn't show one. But I'm all for them showing them when they think it will attract the most viewers. Anything to keep the show on the air.

Without A Trace: Martin's pain killer addiction would be so much more interesting if I didn't see it on just about every show. Whenever someone on a TV show gets shot, or stabbed, or is otherwise the victim of violence and suffers to long lasting physical problems, they get addicted to painkillers. Whatever. I love Martin and I really wish they had done something more interesting with his character. But I guess I should just be happy that he's getting a storyline.
In the next update I'm going to talk about psychotic Superboy Prime and the awesome wardrobe choices of guys named Luthor, my love for Ultimate Tony Stark and Captain America, and, of course, Dr. Doom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the end of Without A Trace last night. Did they find the kid alive?

Also, did you hear that Alias is returning midway throug April.

Scout said...

Yeah, they foud the kid, but Martin screwed up and almost got the kid killed because he's a druggie. Apparently Danny is the only one who notices. I guess none of the other characters watch television.

I did hear that Alias was coming back in mid April, with a 2 hour show. It's going to be on Wednesdays at 8. Did you know that there are only 17 episodes this season? :(