Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I'm not Irish, and I'm not even particularly fond of St. Patrick's Day, but I simply cannot let the day pass without watching The Quiet Man. Every time I watch it, I long to visit the Emerald Isle. It's one of my favorite films of all time, and in my opinion, it's probably the best performance that John Wayne ever gave. There's so much subtlety to it, and Shawn Thornton so completely different from any other character he ever played. It's also one of John Ford's finest films, which is saying a lot, since he has to be one of the greatest directors of all time. Maureen O'Hara is wonderful too - beautiful and strong. I think I like the supporting characters the best though. Whether they be yelling like Protestants or giving Shawn a branch to beat his wife with, they're all so funny and interesting, they make me wish I lived in Inishfree. Most importantly though, it features the best fight scene in film history:


No comments: