Monday, August 07, 2006

Embarrassing Admission of the Day

I am actually looking forward to watching Gene Simmons Family Jewels tonight. I'm the first to admit that the world doesn't need any more reality shows, especially not of the kind where some celebrity puts himself and his loved ones on display for cash, an image change, or some desperately needed exposure. I'm sure this show is an attempt by Simmons to return to the spotlight and appeal to a new audience, much like The Osbournes did for Ozzy. (Eventually, KISS is going to have to make good on those retirement claims.) That's actually the main reason for my emabarrasment. Nothing Simmons ever does seems to have a motivation other than profit and self-aggrandizement. A reporter recently asked him if he was worried that the show would hurt his image, and therefore his future earnings. Simmons responded by saying that it might, but he already had enough money. I have to wonder how much money he's still making off that image now anyway. The KISS Army is there, and I don't think anything he does is going to lessen there willingness to buy anything he slaps a picture of his giant tongue on, but I don't think that image is really pulling in the kind of profit it used to.
The clips I have seen look pretty amusing though, and you know that Simmons' ego, which is bigger than his platform boots, isn't going to be able to remain intact with teenager children. Seeing him get taken down a few pegs just by being in a domestic setting. (I saw Being Mick. Even Jagger doesn't get to play rock god with his family.) However, I mostly think this show is going to be interesting because the Simmons Family, while unconventional, seems pretty functional. That alone sets it apart from other shows of its kind. I remember some conservatives complaining about The Osbournes, but they should be far more concerned about a show like this. Here we have a rock star and a former playmate who have never wed and aren't even monogymous raising two well adjusted, intelligent and apparently very un-Osbourne-like children. That's pretty subversive stuff when you think about it.
On a somewhat related topic, the newest Entertainment Weekly had a small feature on Gene Simmons' past television roles. While that was amusing, and I welcome any mention of KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park and the bizarre casting choice for Ace Frehley's body double (too bad they didn't work in a mention the fact that that wasn't even Peter Criss' voice), it's a shame it was limited to television. I can't be the only person who wants to talk about Wanted: Dead or Alive, where Rutger Hauer memorably shoved a live grenade in Gene Simmons' mouth. That was good stuff right there. Man I miss the 80s.
By the way, if you didn't figure it out, this whole post was just a flimsy excuse to mention an almost twenty-year-old Rutger Hauer movie. Why would I do such a thing? Because I am at work and have nothing to do and no supervision, thereby eliminating the need to pretend like I am doing work. Also, it's always a good time to mention Rutger Hauer. I would do a whole blog entry on him, but quite frankly I can't remember much about his films besides little details like shoving a grenade in Gene Simmons' mouth. Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of the Reality show. What station is running it.

If you're going to talk about Rutger Hauer movies you have to mention Ladyhawk which was classic 80's. Mid evil setting with 80's music - great stuff.

And who can forget Nighthawks with Billy Dee Williams, Lindsay Wagner and the immortal Sly Stallone.

Scout said...

The show is on A&E Monday nights at 10:00. It was actually really funny. I feel terribly bad for Gene Simmons' son though...and his daughter, Shannon, the dog. I feel bad for all of them really. It's a toss up, but I'd say the most amusing moment for me may have been seeing that he had to figure out how to open the dishwasher.

I was actually thinkig about doing a whole blog entry about Ladyhawk, because you know that is one of my favorite movies; and it did ocurr to me that maybe I should rent Nighthawks. That's a classic Rutger Hauer bad guy role and features Sly dressed like a woman. I haven't seen it in years, but I think it's time for another look-see. I just haven't decided whether I should rent it before or after the new DVD edition of Roadhouse to listen to the Kevin Smith audio commentary. Maybe I should rent Cobra too and do a tribute to the disgustingly ultra violent films of the late 80s.