Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Is Spider-Man Supposed To Look Like the Red Skull?


It's not just me right? I'm digging the concepts behind these covers, but the execution is kind of ugly.

Anyway, here's the description that went along with the cover:

SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #41
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
Pencils & 50/50 Cover by JOE QUESADA
50/50 Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
“ONE MORE DAY” Part 3
The most-talked about – and controversial – comic event of the year continues, brought to you by J. Michael Straczynski and Joe Quesada! Brace yourself, Spidey fans, after this, nothing will be the same for Peter Parker!
The stakes have never been higher. At his darkest hours – and he's had plenty – Peter has always had one shoulder to lean on, one person who'd remind him who he is, who he was, and who he can be. Now he's about to lose that person. What would he do...what would you do, if you only had "One More Day?"
48 PGS./Rated A …$3.99

I really think it's Aunt May who is going to die. I suppose that the lesser of two (three if you count Black Cat) evils, since a) she's roughly 900 years old, and b) there's not nearly as much of a point to having her around not that she knows everything. I was digging the family dynamic with Peter, MJ and Aunt May though. Also, like Mary Jane, Aunt May has already died once, so it's hard to believe it's going to stick this time. As a matter of fact, I don't believe any of this is going to stick because Ii really think there is going to be a magical reboot at the end of "One More Day." Then, in a few years, they will have another big event to reverse the reboot and pretend it never happened, just like every other time they have tried to reboot the character in a ridiculous attempt to end the marriage that no one cares about but Joe Quesada.

If Aunt May does die, and it does stick, I'll mostly be upset about the fact that it was ultimately pointless that they brought her back. I love Aunt May like I love all members of Spidey's supporting cast, but I was fine with her being gone. I thought her death was really well done the first time. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but as much of a mess as the Clone Saga was on the whole, there were some very good individual stories told in that time, and this was one of them. Also, it wrapped up a plot thread that had been going on for years where it was hinted that Aunt May did know that Peter was Spider-Man. I thought this was far better than the way JMS handled the revelation. (Don't even get me started on the fact that I don't think it has been acknowledged at all since the unmasking that Robbie probably knew Peter was Spider-Man. Cutting Peter off from the Daily Bugle was such a huge mistake.) Anyway, hasn't enough changed in Peter's life lately that nothing was going to be the same whether someone dies or not?

As for the other Marvel solicits for October, I think they are trying to make me hate zombies. Conscious effort is the only possible explanation. And the New Avengers cover with Wolverine as Venom? I think it's a brilliant idea to just go ahead and combine Marvel's most overrated and overexposed hero with it's most overrated and overexposed villain. Bendis is a genius.

The Spider-Man/Red Sonja solicit looks promising, if only because it seems to confirm that Mary Jane will be turning into Red Sonja just like she did in the original Marvel Team-Up story. How can Joe Quesada hate a character who periodically turns into Red Sonja?

Also, it looks like X-Men: First Class is going to continue to be awesome, and, while I wasn't even sure if I was going to pick up the second issue, I am so in World War Hulk for the long haul. A Hulk/Sentry smackdown is going to be awesome!

No comments: